Contact Elder Reese

Email: hreese@myldsmail.net

Mail Letters and Packages To:

Elder Hunter Reese
Colombia Cali Mission
Avenida 2, Oeste # 10-130, Edif Tempo
Oficina 201, Barrio Santa Rita
Cali Valle del Cauca
Colombia 760045


Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Lord Called You to be the Presidents New Secretary!

Surprise! I write on Saturdays now!

There are a few big changes now! I was District Leader for like 2 days so that was cool but now I am something much different! 

We did not have transfers this last Monday because of this Paro. Although, it ended Monday so we had transfers on Tuesday! I got a nice little call from the Presidents Assistant at 10 o'clock on Tuesday and he said ¨Elder Reese how are you?¨ Then he made small talk for 30 seconds and after he said ¨Elder Reese the Lord has called you to have a new assignment in the mission.¨ So I told him to lay it on me! He said ¨The Lord has called you to be the Presidents new Secretary!¨ 

What does that mean? I'll tell ya. It now means I am in Cali at the mission office everyday. I am the Presidents personal secretary. I handle every flight of all the missionaries going home and every passport/identification material of every missionary in the mission. I take all the new missionaries through migration when they get here. I work very closely with President Whitesides and schedule all of his meeting and flights as well. 

When I got here on Tuesday night I asked him why he choose me and he told me that he didn't choose me but God did. He said God only puts the missionaries in the Offices that he and President Whitesides can trust the most. 

We have a lot more responsibility but also more freedom. We have a higher level of trust. There are 3 other secretaries. One handles the finances of the whole mission, one handles all the materials like the houses and the packages, and one handles all the baptismal forms and references. 

I live in a huge house with all of them and they are all gringos except for 1 of them. My new companion or well companionS are Elder Eldredge from Texas and Elder Aragon from Utah. 

Elder Aragon is training me how to do my job because I can't mess up or a lot of things can go way wrong! He will be with me for this whole transfer helping me with anything I need to learn. 

Elder Eldredge will stay with me after that and we will be companions until one of us gets switched. 

There are perks though. We have a maid!!! She washes all our clothes and and cleans the whole house everyday and also cooks us food! It is great! We just throw our clothes by the washer and when we come home at night they are all hanging up ready to be used! 

The downside is that I am sitting behind a computer screen from 10 in the morning until 6 at night. We only get to proselyte for 3 hours every day and my P days are now on Saturday

We have already found like 4 investigators of gold since I have been here! Not to say I am the reason that we found them but they just got found! They are neighbors and they had a bunch of questions that we answered together. 

As missionaries, we try to avoid the coffee and alcohol question until later in the lessons because we need to explain that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that he received the revelation for the Word of Wisdom. But, sometimes it doesn't quite happen that way! 

We were teaching these awesome investigators on the street and they asked this question. Me and Elder Aragon had been teaching most of everything and Elder Eldredge hadn't said much. When they asked that question I whispered to Elder Aragon ¨On the count of three both of us just look at Elder Eldredge¨ So we did and he scrambled very fast and it was very funny because he wasn't paying a whole lot of attention but we worked it out! 

I also go to the airport to see missionaries off and when the new ones come in! So I sent home my first missionary on Thursday. Her name was Hermana Solorzano. She was from Ecuador and she had a twin sister in Bogota serving the mission. They both wanted to get home on the same flight so I had to call Elder Johnson who does my job there in Bogota. We coordinated very well to schedule everything perfectly! 

Wednesday the missionaries' mother kept calling President and she wouldn't pick up when I called but FINALLY she answered me and I talked her down and told her how everything was going to go. 

That is a great tip parents. One call to the mission president is okay but unless it is an emergency you shouldn't bother him. Call the office! I get to deal with the crazy parents now! 

Anyways, Hermana Solorzano called me and asked me a favor on Wednesday before she left. She wanted me to bug Bogota to call her sister to see if she was going to wear the outfit they had picked out together. I was blown away. That is one of the dumbest questions anyone has ever asked me. I politely told her it might not happen but that I would try.  (I don't think he tried)

Alright, you all have extra time to get your emails in for next Saturday! Love you all hope you are having fun! Stay strong! 

Con Amor,
Elder Reese

No comments:

Post a Comment