Contact Elder Reese

Email: hreese@myldsmail.net

Mail Letters and Packages To:

Elder Hunter Reese
Colombia Cali Mission
Avenida 2, Oeste # 10-130, Edif Tempo
Oficina 201, Barrio Santa Rita
Cali Valle del Cauca
Colombia 760045


Saturday, November 18, 2017

Did President Double Check With God?

Hey guys,
I got a lot of emails this week that I never thought I would have! 

I am learning a lot here and it is actually really funny to see how everyone reacts. I just hope that I can live up to what people and more so what God expects from me! 

I had my ¨Welcome to the office¨ interview with President Whitesides. I asked him a little more about why I am here. He explained to me that at one point in the mission the office was a place where the President put all the disobedient missionaries to keep an eye on them but then a Seventy told them that it is not ever supposed to be like that. He said that he thinks the office missionaries are the examples as to what a missionary should be like. That when other missionaries see the missionaries here that they should see servants of the Lord. 

So I guess somewhere along the line God told President that I was one of them. I actually asked President if he double checked with God to make sure it was me. He just laughed and said it was an undeniable feeling. 

As for this week. I have learned a lot about what I do. I have gone to immigration twice to deal with these things called cedulas. It is like the Colombian version of a drivers license/ID.

I have gone to the notary as well to get some passport papers stamped and signed and learned a lot of new words that I have never had to use in the last 8 months or really my whole life. 

I spend all my time in front of a computer or updating physical files that we have here in the office. 

This week I have to call all the families of the missionaries that are going home to make sure they are okay with everything. 

I was going through the list to see who I will have to call and I was reading their countries: Peru, USA, Bolivia, Ecuador, Brazil.....BRAZIL. They speak PORTUGUESE. 

I am now taking little crash courses of Portuguese to be able to talk with Elder Costas family this week so wish me luck. 

The investigators are great. We have a baptismal date, His name is D. He has had a rough go at things as of late. 

He had problems with alcohol and his wife kicked him out and sent him on a potato truck to Cali from Pompayan which is about 3 hours. He got here with just the clothes on his back and an electrician background. He has stopped drinking and he just goes around asking people if they need help with their things and that is how he is earning money. 

We went to his house 2 days ago. It was the first time I had been there and it was about the size of a small classroom in a school. The floor is not even cement it is just rock. We sat down and he said ¨Hey can I buy you guys some bread and a coke?¨ We politely declined and he did it anyways. He took this 5000 peso bill and left. 

As we were talking we asked how his work was going. He said ¨I know that with time God will help me in the part of my life but I made 5000 today.¨ 

The bread and coke we had just drank got a lot heavier in our stomachs as we realized that everything he made that day he just spent on us. All of us had tears in our eyes as we realized how much he was willing to sacrifice just to know God. 

Now we have to wonder if we can do the same. 

Anyways, he should be baptized the December 2nd. I will keep you updated on that. 

Uncle Scott did email me and I am very grateful. Who knew that he still speaks Spanish huh? 

Love you guys! Have a great week!! 

Con Amor, 
Inline image 1
P.S. That goes on all my emails now. Please don't call the mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment